20.11.09

Right Idea, Wrong Asset Holder - Patients Should be Traded Like Free Agents

What if your long-term health profile were a corporate asset of your health plan? What if, when you changed health plans, the new health plan had to pay the old health plan for the rights to insure you? Call this a health plan member's Net Asset Value.

From: "The Health Care Blog: Sell Patients like Baseball Players - Seriously ."

If I'm a 'star' patient with an MVP long term health profile (great biometric stats, low risk, great genetic indicators, etc) then health insurers should approach me (and my chosen agent) like the next Great Bambino, and attempt to woo me to their plan with a long term contract and low rates.

Interesting idea, but this would build a system that's predisposed against the sick, and getting ill isn't a bit like having a ton of talent in baseball.

Luckily, the Dutch system provides some examples of how we may do this right...provide MORE incentives for treating those who are sick to insurers and hospitals, not less (paying attention CMS?) so people want those kind of MVPs in their portfolios too.

The idea of health insurers controlling and trading my net asset value at will, to be sold and resold without my control like my student loan balances, makes me a commodity good in the healthcare marketplace.

And how, actually, is that any different than the scenario we've got today?

Posted via web from Jen's Posterous

No comments: